Item # P3-5010
The PhiTOP is a very carefully designed top that counterintuitively stands up when spun in a horizontal plane, rises, and then settles down, spinning for 2-3 minutes. Besides being a COOL toy, the PhiTOP has unique observable traits in dynamics, electrodynamics, Lissajous Figures and a great illustration of the “Gelatinous Ellipsoid Effect”.
Invented by astrophysicist Kenneth Brecher, the PhiTOP encourages exploration of force, mass, density, gravity, friction, and time. This elegant scientific and aesthetically pleasing top makes a perfect gift, desktop display piece, or student challenge.
Products being sold are not toys. They are for Educational / Labratory use only. They are not for use by children 12 and under.
- A metal prolate ellipsoid that demonstrates many scientific concepts
- When spun at high speeds on its side, it will seemingly magically shift its position upright and vertical!
- A beautiful kinetic artwork or stress reliever
- Excellent conversation piece or gift
- Concave mirror base for improving spinning technique included
- Measure approximately 2" x 1.25" x 1.25"
Add to Wishlist
Choose your wishlist to be added