Air-Powered Projectile, Classroom Set of 6
Item # P4-2230
A Complete Classroom Set of our popular Air Powered Projectiles - Enough for 6 lab Groups!
Accurate and repeatable to an amazing degree, thanks to the hard-plastic chassis, this missile flies straight and true with minimal wind effect. Since it takes off at the same velocity every time, your outcome is always precise and consistent - important for students testing predictions, who'll reap rewarding results.
And it's a breeze to use. All you do is pressurize the launch chamber with an ordinary bicycle pump. When the pressure is high enough to pop off the thrust washer, the projectile blasts into the sky. Each projectile comes with four different thrust washers - Low, Medium, High, and Super - so you can vary launch speed for different experiments. You can even build a launch-pad (or use the one below) to vary launch angles. Then your students can use Newton's Laws to predict where the projectile will land!
This easy-to-use launch-pad utilizes six wedges (sold separately) that let you vary the launch angle from 30° to 55° (in increments of 5°), so you can explore different aspects of projectile motion and Newton's laws. Comes unassembled.
Cool Computer Simulation
Here's a lesson you can try with the air-powered projectile:
- Shoot the projectile straight into the air and measure how long it takes to land. (In this example, let's use 6 seconds).
- Divide that time by 2 to get the time it took the projectile to reach maximum height and slow to a stop (3 seconds).
- If gravity slows objects at a rate of 10 m/s per second and it took the projectiles 3 seconds to slow to a stop, it must have started at 30 m/s!
- Now assign an angle, say 60°. The initial velocity stays the same, so we can use trigonometry to find the x & y components.
Vy = 30 m/s (sin 60°) = 26 m/s vertical velocity
Vx = 30 m/s (cos 60°) = 15 m/s horizontal velocity
If the projectile starts at 26 m/s in the "y" direction and gravity slows velocity by 10 m/s each second, it will take 2.6 seconds to fall to the ground, totaling 5.2 seconds in the air.
Since the rocket travel in the air for 5.2 seconds at 15 m/s, it will go 78 meters before hitting the ground (5.2 x 15 =78).
Products being sold are not toys. They are for Educational / Labratory use only. They are not for use by children 12 and under.
- 6 Air Powered Projectiles
- 6 Launch Pads
- 6 sets of Washers
- 6 Heavy-Duty Air Pumps with Gauge
- 1 set of 6 Angle Wedges
- 1 set of Replacement Washers
- 1 Deluxe Trundle Wheel
Item # P4-1000
Item # P4-1010
Item # P4-2250
Item # C5-1030
Item # 11-0045
Item # P4-2200
Item # P4-2215
Item # P4-2225
Item # 01-8020
Item # P4-2223