Item # P2-9505
Digitally capture an individual spectrum, and then compare it to a series of known spectra! The included camera and software make this an easy and inexpensive solution to studying quantitative spectral data in the classroom.
"Every high school in the country should have one of these!" ~ Paul Hewitt, Author Conceptual Physics
Teach spectroscopy with live video! Digitally capture an individual spectrum, and then compare it to a series of known spectra. The included camera and software make this an easy and inexpensive alternative for studying quantitative spectral analysis using a standard spectroscope.
The RSpec Explorer allows multiple users to experience the benefits of quantitative spectroscopy at the same time, and in meaningful ways. Until now, it’s been nearly impossible to teach about light and color using traditional tools like diffraction gratings because you can’t determine if all your students are even seeing the same results of their experiments. But with the RSpec Explorer’s camera and software system, you will be confident knowing that every student is seeing the same thing. The result is that they’re spending less time wondering what they’re looking at and more time on impactful tasks like: learning how to measure the wavelength of visible light, understanding the different line spectra from ionized gas tubes, or studying the diffraction of light.
The RSpec Explorer’s powerful and intuitive software allows students to graph and displays the results, helping them interpret what they’re seeing. Students can also export experimental data to Excel, record their experiments, and leverage the built-in library of gas spectrum lines to compare one ionized gas to another.
Simply position the RSpec Explorer on a stable surface, one or two meters from the light source. There’s no fine-tuning or adjustment necessary. The internal video camera includes a built-in diffraction grating and it auto-focuses and adjusts for current light conditions. The system works with any XP or more recent Windows operating system and Macs. You can set up the camera and capture a spectrum in about 90 seconds!
Please note: If you are experiencing issues installing the RSpec Explorer application on your computer, please contact us at [email protected].
Products being sold are not toys. They are for Educational / Labratory use only. They are not for use by children 12 and under.
- USB camera with 640x480 resolution
- interpolated to 1.3 megapixels
- The focal length is 2.3 mm.
- The focus distance is from about 5” (130 mm) to infinity.
- The field of view is 68°.
- Frame rate is 30 fps.
- Cable length is 4’
- The spectroscope is a slit-less objective grating device with a dispersion of 1.30 Nanometers/pixel.
- The range is from approximately 380 nm to 700 nm.
- The spectroscope and camera are integrated into a sealed 3 x 1.5 x 1” plastic enclosure.
- An aluminum tripod with a standard male camera thread, 4” legs (extendable to 6”) with a universal swivel head.
- The single license allows for software use one Mac or Windows computer.
- The software comes with a perpetual license and one year of free updates and support. After that, annual update subscriptions are available for an additional cost.
- Along with the hardware, the original shipment contains a URL for download of the software. No media (CD, DVD) is available.
- The software comes pre-calibrated for the spectroscope’s dispersion but allows the user to customize the calibration using a polynomial fit.